7TH & 8th GRADE MATH
WHAT CAN I EXPECT THIS YEAR?
- Checked regularly for an attempt at EVERY problem. Your BEST effort is expected!!
- You are expected to show work whenever possible!!!
- Checked daily and counts as a grade for each marking period.
- Questions regarding homework will be answered at the beginning of each class, so please come prepared with any questions you may have!
- Because we go over homework in class each day, late assignments will not be accepted unless you were absent.
- Daily assignments will be posted on the bulletin board and you will have an opportunity to copy them into your agendas at the end of class.
- Review questions from previous units will be on each quiz/test.
- Contain multiple choice and open-ended response questions that require writing explanations and showing work.
- Quizzes and tests will contain two sections: one with the use of a calculator and one without the use of a calculator. Calculators may not be used on multiple choice questions. This is to parallel the NYS Mathematics Exam.
- Partial credit may be obtained for correct procedures, even though your final answer may be incorrect due to a computational error. Please be sure to show all work!!
WHAT SUPPLIES DO I NEED TO BRING EACH DAY?
§ Sharpened PENCILS with erasers
§ 3-ring binder with loose-leaf paper
§ Current Unit Packet
§ Composition notebook (kept in our classroom)
§ Textbook should be kept in class!
§ Scientific calculator’s will be supplied in class - It is recommended that you have a scientific calculator at home for homework (calculator with a square root keyÖ )
WHAT DO I DO IF I AM ABSENT?
Please SEE ME when you return! It is YOUR responsibility to find out what was completed in class.
- When you return to school, please check the absent folder for any work that you missed.
- If we took notes that day, please be sure to get the notes from someone on our team. If you cannot get the notes from someone, please see me.
HOW WILL I BE GRADED?
§ Quarter grades will be based on a total point system that includes bellwork, classwork, homework quizzes and tests.
§ There are opportunities to earn bonus points.
Click on: Parents, Classroom/Teachers, 7th and 8th Grade, Mrs. Zipp
You will find homework assignments, monthly calendars with upcoming quizzes/tests, helpful web-sites, educational math games, information about the NYS Math Assessment, and much more!
If you have ANY concerns or problems in class or on team, please feel free to come to me. I will do whatever I can to resolve the issue.
I am looking forward to a very rewarding and productive year!!